8.06.2007

Blog Hlumblug

I attended the BlogHer Conference at Navy Pier last Saturday where I was subjected to unbridled tourism (It's a mall! And an amusement park! On a pier!)

I'm tempted to call Navy Pier Chicago's French Quarter, but that would be an insult to the French Quarter. Forgot how long the Pier is, and of course the conference rooms are in the very back, so this blogger was truly living up to her avatar by the time I picked up my mail bag full of green- tea scented promotional items and crept in towards the back of the Business of You session. The food was great, and the atmosphere decidedly uncritical. One of the panelists was hesitant to call herself a writer, prefering blogger, as it denotes what? Someone who is willing to be exploited and underpaid because they're "uncomfortable" with the term writer! Or maybe the term blogger now refers to one who schills products on the Internet under the guise of sisterly chitchat.

Perhaps the scariest moment occured when a woman in the audience identified herself as an HR Director at a biotechnical firm. I KID YOU NOT, she wanted to know how she could contract bloggers to do ad copy work on the cheap without having to pay them benefits!!!!! That was her question, in a room full of bloggers who sat there in silence, perhaps stunned, perhaps drugged on Curves New! trail mix waifers.

Has bloging devolved in to nothing better than a Tupperware Party? Many of the BlogHer attendees identified themselves as full-time moms. For these women, and others, blogging affords an extra source of income with all the benefits of a built- in community.

Perhaps I should just mist my pillow with corporate- sponsored green tea opiates and dream of android sheep.

P.S. Elizabeth Edwards was there campaigning. She made this lady cry.

And lest I sound too gloomy, something that gave me hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice post.